Sunday, July 29, 2012

On the Way to the USA




     Well, here's to the end of my travels for now... *cheeky grin* Although I'm hoping I'll go back someday.
     It was great and I really hope that you (yes you) get a chance to go, but if not maybe you can have your own little journey through my posts and pictures! You might even try and go beyond what you read here and take your own internet/book voyage and learn about the country from the comfort of your own computer.
     Well, right now (not exactly at this moment, but while I was writing this post) I'm on the Air China flight back to Las Angeles trying to pass the 12 hours I have. I hope I'm not bothering the guy beside me by opening and closing the window to get pictures and just stare out. It's too sunny to keep the window open all of the time, but I still want to watch. Speaking of the sun, it never went down on the trip from LA to Beijing. We just followed it there! Anyway... Just looking out the window has made me appreciate God's creation even more, because on these flights I have sen so much of the Earth from 30,000-50,000 feet up.
     So this little Chinese boy, probably 5-6 years old, is watching some sort of cartoon that must be hilarious, because when he laughs it is pretty funny and makes me laugh too. One of the things that I've learned is that young kids in America and China are pretty much the same. Example: they will run a few feet from their parents, turn and laugh, and will do this a few times until they pass that line and come back. They will be rambunctious in the theater, on the plane, in the market, and in most any quiet or public place. This will cause their parents to say something to the effect of 'calm down' or 'get back here or I will swat your little behind' in their native tongue.

     Skipping ahead to the LA airport (LAX). One thing I have learned from traveling alone is to read every sign! Having never traveled before the only way I got by was to read every sign, and ask desk attendants questions. Something that a friend mentioned was to check the screen above the docking thing were air plains connect to the terminal to make sure they match what is on your ticket. Beware that airports commonly change the location of where you are to board. This happened to me in LA, and I almost had a heart attack when they announced it, because it was only 15 minutes before boarding time. Another thing I didn't expect was that in some airports you board in groups. On my ticket I was in group C.
     On the trip back to St. Louis, MO on American Airlines I began to realize just how spoiled I was on Air China. Not a good idea to compare the two seeing as one is international and the other continental. Cool story-> On the way back I sat by a retired professor from my university! We got to talking, something you should always do, about my school and where he worked and I found out that he used to teach at Missouri S&T and now works for Boeing! And the guy behind him graduated from there a few years ago and is working with him. ♫"It's a small world after all. It's a small world after all! It's a small, small, world."
     Well, that was kind of a random post, but I hope that you enjoy the slide show. If you want to view the pictures at you're own pace click the link below.

Beijing

No comments:

Post a Comment