Sunday, May 6, 2012

Paperwork and Such Things


This last week has been full of learning and finalizing; both for the end of my freshman year, and for my trip to Beijing, China. I had a meeting with the professor that is teaching the class at the Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), and with my study abroad advisor where we talked about all the myriad forms I need to fill out. I also had to sign a packet that says I can't hold my school responsible for anything that happens, and there were also a bunch of other little goodies I had to read over. One of the forms that intrigued me was a mandatory medical insurance, and with this I also get this cool thing called "evacuation insurance". This covers the expenses if I need to be evacuated because of an emergency, like a natural disaster or political uprising. I feel more safe already! Possibly only interesting to me, but there you have it. 

Click on picture to enlarge.

Plane Tickets

Oh, I also go my seats picked out on the planes I'm taking! An ordeal of it's own. American Airlines allows you to go online with your name and a unique code and choose your seat from a map of the plane. With Air China you have to call
them and they will choose your seats for you over the phone, and if you want to see which seat you will have you have to have the correct airplane seat diagram open online while they are telling you your options. I was lucky enough to get the last of a couple window sets available, but they're either over or behind the wings. But I think it'll be awesome anyway since it's my first time. If anyone has any good tips for plane travel leave me a comment.

Classes, oh yea, I'm Going to Learn

On another note  <-- You like how I did that there? 
The class that I am taking in Beijing is titled International Business Ethics. So far there is only me and another student going from my university. And, if the other student is not allowed a temporary leave of absence from her training, she is in the US Army, then I will be the only student going. I mentioned this to my study abroad advisory and he had a good response. If I am the only student going it will give me the opportunity to socialize even more with the students at BIT instead of being drawn to an American friend. I guess he has a point, but my professor is bringing her niece. So, although I will be the only student from my university, I won't be the only American student there! Possibly not too much culture shock!

Well, that's all I have for now.

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Tech Guy, Sounds like a very exciting beginning of the endof your freshman year of college. I hope your trip is fun, and stick to your own advise but meet new people. You're good at that so keep it up and meet a new life long friend.

    ReplyDelete