Saturday, May 26, 2012

Luggage Shopping


Luggage

     While I was looking for luggage I ran into a friend of mine's dad, we'll call him James, who knew a lot about luggage from his family's travels. Now I have the opportunity to pass this knowledge on to you.

This is what I learned:

  • Before even stepping foot in a store check your airline's website for luggage requirements! This will save you from a lot of trouble.
    • The general (make sure you check your airline) requirements are:
      • 62 inches total: That is height + width + depth. Height is from floor to top of handle. (take a tape measure)
      • Okay, so I thought it was funny.
      • 50 pound max
  • Don't buy bright or gaudy designs, or fancy looking bags. Flashy colors, attractive designs, and expensive luggage say that you have money. Thieves in the airport will look for things like that.
  • Four wheels or two? Four wheels allow the case to spin and move easier than two, and they're harder to knock over especially if there is a bag hanging around the expandable arm. But, they're more expensive. Two wheels look to be more durable, and probably easier to take over rough terrain.
  • Two words; side bars. This criteria is hard to find, but James said it's worth it. I'm talking about metal bars that run down each side of the large bags. Not those flimsy composite board things, and especially not  *shudder* bags without protection anything at all. James said this should be one of the deciding factors, because airlines are so rough and uncaring when it comes to luggage.
  • Check for weight. If you're waffling between two pieces and one is lighter than the other go with that one. If you're looking for some nice, durable, and very light (but expensive) pieces look at Delsey.
  • What about hard shell luggage you may ask? If you don't know what that is check out what I saw at Walmart. I considered getting that one, but James pointed out that if it is thrown by the airline, which it probably will be, it might crack and break.
  • Sets or individual? I prefer sets, because it's kind of like buying food in bulk. Okay, so the meat luggage is making me hungry since I haven't eaten lunch yet. From what I've seen buying individual is way more expensive, which seems counter intuitive. If you are looking for something nicer, lighter, and with four wheels then buying individual pieces are almost the only way to get those features.
  • Also, check for the little things. Wide zippers are more durable and easier to use. Nylon or ballistic nylon is tougher than cloth. Rubber wheels that are recessed into the case are tougher. Telescoping handle that locks when it is up or down and isn't flimsy.
It's a sticker...
So, after all of the looking and searching I found my set at Kohls; the picture at the top right. It has a metal bar about an inch wide around the sides and corners, tough material, all of the criteria listed as 'little things', 3 luggage pieces, a small bag, and a shower stuff case. I only paid $119.98! It is listed much more than that, but I waited for a sale plus I had an extra discount card. This leads to one last tip; if you have time then wait for the sales around the beginning of the summer travel season.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."  -St. Augustine

1 comment: