Monday, May 14, 2012

Travel Agents! & Flight Change? What??



Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.  ~Robert C. Gallagher

   Things change, times change, and FLIGHTS change! I wasn't expecting that... Oh well. I'll just have to take this change in stride. Something that I defiantly recommend is that you get in contact with a travel agency. The travel agent called and let me know of the change, gave me a couple options I could change to, and bam it was done!

Flight change

   I was lucky enough to get an internship this summer, and while I was on a lunch break I get a call from my travel agent with the news that every first time traveler wants to hear. 'I just got notified that your flight has been changed.' For some odd reason the airline changed it, and the reason escapes me; be it consolidating travelers or saving gas, I don't know. But at least the airline company let my travel agent know that it happened. 


Imagine this:
     I'm walking through the terminal for my first international flight, my first time to be on a commercial airline, and even more important! the first time I get to use my awesomely manly luggage.
I walk up to the counter...
     "Hi can I see your ticket?"
     "Sure here ya go."
     "Thank you, just a second and I'll scan you in hun...
     Ummm... Something seems wrong here. The system says that
this is an old canceled flight."
     "Huhhhh! What happened?"
     "Well, it seems that a notice was sent out to all travel agencies
to change flights."
      *Dramatic scream* "NOOOOOO!!!!!"

He doesn't like 5:40am either...
   Not like that conversation will ever happen. But, fortunately fixing flight changes was not like the stories you hear on TV or horrid travel experiences. Because I was in regular contact with an agent I didn't freak out. She just gave me a couple options which I discussed with my supervisor and family, and it only change my times change a couple hours earlier. Now, I'm just leaving the US a bit after midnight and arriving in Beijing at 5:40am.
    Overall the experience was nothing like I imagined. I thought I would have to pay huge sums of money to fix this, or even buy a completely new ticket with a different company. Fortunately it was a simple choice of arriving around the same time , but really early, or just getting there a day sooner!


Leave a comment if this has ever happened to you, and how it worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment